The Nigerian Railway Corporation traces its history to the year 1898, when the first railroad in Nigeria was constructed by the British colonial government.
On October 3, 1912 the Lagos Government Railway and the Baro-Kano Railway were amalgamated, starting nationwide rail service under the name Government Department of Railways.
With the passing of the Nigerian Railway Corporation Act of 1955, the company gained its current name as well as the exclusive legal right to construct and operate rail service in Nigeria.
The rail network reached its maximum extent shortly after Nigerian independence.
In the late 1960s the NRC entered a long period of decline, inept management, and eventually a complete lack of maintenance of rail and locomotive assets.
In 1988, NRC declared bankruptcy, and all rail traffic stopped for six months.
After that, trains resumed, where the tracks were usable.
By 2002, passenger service was again discontinued altogether.
Starting in 2006, plans were made to restore the rail lines and add new locomotives with foreign assistance. In December 2012 regular, scheduled passenger service was restored on the Lagos to Kano line.
Photo Joliba Heritage & Culture